Pages

Saturday 10 May 2014

Solitaire by Alice Oseman

Solitaire
by Alice Oseman

You know when sometimes you've read such a good book that you're lost for words how to describe it? When 'brilliant' and 'amazing' don't seem to be enough? Well done, Alice Oseman, you have struck me dumb with your masterpiece. And you're only 19?? Incredible. Actually, perhaps not so incredible - it just makes sense. Still in your teens and writing about teens - of course you'd be spot on! There's just something about this book, especially the main character, Tori Spring. I had a connection with her for most of the book. I think everybody had a little bit of a Tori Spring in them when they were in sixth form at school. Not really part of a gang, and not really wanting to be either. Not loud, not following the fashions, the popular music, the clubs. Just happy with your own company. And then Michael Holden - I just loved Michael, and of course the two of them would single each other out. They're both different, both in their own way.

I don't even want to tell you what the book's about. You must read it afresh, like I did, and love it. For you WILL love it. I promise you.


No comments: